Pancakes


I think I've spoiled my family a bit by making these every Sunday morning. They're so easy to make, it's hard to say no. I'm almost embarassed to admit that I serve these to my husband as breakfast in bed...old-fashioned, I know, but he loves to sleep late and it's the best way I know to get him up! I like these hot off the skillet so they retain that fluffy on the inside, crispy on the outside texture.

Makes about 6 large pancakes

Ingredients

1 cup all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 tablespoons sugar
½ teaspoon salt
1 egg
¾ cup milk (plus a bit more if necessary)
2 tablespoons butter, melted and slightly cooled
Butter and vegetable oil for cooking

Directions

1. Combine the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt in a bowl and mix well.

2. Beat the egg and milk together in a bowl. Add the melted butter and mix to blend.

3. Pour the milk mixture into the dry ingredients and stir just enough to moisten the flour mixture. It should look a little lumpy. (If you overwork the mixture, the pancakes will be tough.) If mixture seems too thick, add a bit more milk a (no more than a tablespoon because batter should not be runny).

4. Heat a griddle over medium heat. Lightly grease it with oil and butter (the oil will keep the butter from burning). Drop the batter from a large spoon (about 1/4 cup) and cook until the entire surface of the pancakes is dotted with holes. Flip and cook until the other side is just golden brown. This happens quickly so peek after 30 seconds and watch carefully! Wipe the griddle clean with a paper towel between batches. Serve immediately.

*You may have to play with the heat setting as you cook. If it looks like pancakes are browning too quickly, simply turn the heat down a bit.